Thursday, March 22, 2007

Ready, set, shmooze!

Last night, an absolutely lovely woman who I'd never met before but is a family friend took me to a networking event she'd organized for South Asian Professionals who were primarily in Advertising, Marketing, Branding and Media here. While it was well organized and well attended, it was entirely informal, no suits, no wine/cheese in sight, just good old fashioned shmoozing.

I collected more business cards and got more request for my resume, and set up more meetings last night than I have thus far at Schulich. If I were a finance or consulting person, that would not have been the case. If the career centre gave an honest rat's arse about marketing/ media/ advertising people, we'd have been in better shape. But, I'm not going to complain. The backbone of this industry is networking, and I'm fully amenable to doing it. If I want a career in this field, I have to put myself out there, meet and talk to people, leverage professors and the alumni network (hah!) and use the fact that I (almost) have a Schulich MBA. After all, all Schulich MBA degrees are equal.

Some are just more equal than others.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home